Boston, MA 02109
Full-time Optician needed at a top facility in Boston!
(Reference Code: KAM)
Currently seeking an Optician for our Optical shop. Will have the advantage of working a typical day shift (M-F), no weekends or holidays.
Reporting to the Manager of the Optical Shop, the Optician will have primary responsibility for optical dispensing and assist with the day-to-day operations of the shop.
- Collaborates with the Manager of the Optical Shop and the Administrative Director to achieve goals, resolve conflicts, to ensure high standards of customer service are maintained and to devise merchandising programs appropriate to the conditions at the location.
- Ensures that the shop is opened on time each business day and secured at the end of each business day.
- Ensures that all patients (customers) are treated with respect and a cordial demeanor. This includes contacts on the telephone as well as those that occur in person.
- Ensures that all of the information and measurements for eyeglasses and contact lenses required to properly fill the patient’s prescription are obtained, and that the patient is given the information needed to make an informed choice of eyewear to accommodate lifestyle needs.
- When appropriate, cuts lenses and maintains an orderly efficient “in house” laboratory, or uses electronic procedures, such as trace equipment, to order outside laboratory work.
- Promptly call patients when their prescription eyewear and contact lenses are ready to be picked up and follows up to ensure prompt pickup and payment of any balance due.
- Works with optometrists regarding contact lens patients, maintaining current contact lens trial inventory, and conducting I & R instruction for patients.
- Adheres to all of the policies and procedures applicable to the optical shop.
- In consultation with managers and director, recommends additions and changes to the inventory of merchandise carried in the shop.
- Develops display and consumer information designs to best present the options available to patients.
- Develops merchandising programs to generate optical shop patronage.
- Takes precautions necessary to avoid theft including the display of high value items in locked display cases.
- Promptly identifies patient vision benefits and clearly explains how to apply benefits for vision care.
- Checks all merchandise delivered to ensure that the order is complete and correctly priced. Immediately reports any discrepancy to the vendor.
- Promptly returns defective and or unwanted merchandise to the vendor for credit.
- Ensures that an upfront deposit, in the amount designated by the Manager, is collected for all prescription eye glasses and that contact lens orders are pre-paid in full before ordering.
- Prices merchandise in accordance with pricing guidelines issued by the Manager.
- Records the value of each and every sale, along with the payment amount and type, in the designated manner for the shop.
- Maintains the cash drawer, in accordance with Optical Shop Procedures, and ensures that only the approved amount of cash is retained at the end of each day for use the following day.
- Assists with depositing all sales receipts, in excess of the cash drawer balance in the designated bank account on a daily basis.
- In collaboration with the Director Retail Optical Operations, maintains a professional and cordial relationship with the medical staff.
- Ensures that all patient transactions are conducted with respect and care for the image of the medical staff. Wears neat, clean professional attire including a lab coat.
- Works comfortably with staff and patients in a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- Checks all deliveries of prescription eyewear and contact lenses to ensure that the prescription was accurately filled and that there is no damage to the glasses or contacts.
- Resolves patient issues and complaints expeditiously and consistently.
- Maintains professional standards and job skills through continuing education.
* Associates degree preferred.
* One-year experience as a dispensing optician.
* Must hold a current Massachusetts Dispensing Optician license.
* Completed the Commonwealth of Massachusetts approved course of study required for a dispensing optician license.
* Broad knowledge of optical dispensing including: metrics for fitting, determination of eyewear best suited to the patient’s needs, optical laboratory operations and the use of optical instruments for checking and determining prescription metrics.
* Broad knowledge and experience in merchandising and dealing with vendors to ensure quality and service goals are met.
* Experience in an urban, multi-cultural health care environment.
* Excellent interpersonal skills to resolve conflict resolution and team efforts applied to patients and office colleagues.
* Ability to learn and use computer office automation systems within a three-month timeframe.
* Ability to effectively adjust and repair eyewear, along with proper fitting, dispensing, and troubleshooting of eyewear.
* Possesses and applies the skills necessary to provide care to patients throughout the practice, with consideration of aging processes, human development stages and cultural patterns and age specific communications.
Offering competitive compensation and complete benefits!
For more information, please submit your resume for review.
Please click APPLY ONLINE or email us a copy of your resume directly (my email is next to my profile). Be sure to check out all of our jobs at http://jobs.ka-recruiting.com. We look forward to working with you!