Clinical Laboratory Scientist OR CLS
Redding, CA 96001 US
NEW Clinical Laboratory Scientist openings at a hospital in Northern California!
Following procedures established by the Director of Ancillary Services, the CLS performs a variety of laboratory tests in many areas of the laboratory, including High Complexity Tests as defined by CLIA. The CLS is responsible for accuracy and reporting of results of application of principles, theories and techniques, professional judgment, computer proficiency, microscopic proficiency and excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
AM 6-1430, 7-1530 4-10 hour days/week alternating weekends (730-1600).
PM Shift Monday – Friday 1500-2330, no weekends.
Alternating call after hours. (IF PM CLS, after 2330, if No PM shift, after 1800) Call ends the following AM at 6.
Weekend call coverage begins at 1600 and ends the following morning at 0730.
Must be willing to train in Microbiology.
Graduate of accredited CLS program with internship.
Current license as a CLS in the State of California.
Five years progressively responsible experience in health care.
Demonstrated leadership and management ability.
Position Responsibilities are rated as part of the employee’s competency-based performance appraisal. Within the parameters established by the Chief Executive Officer, and approved policies and procedures, the incumbent is assigned the following position responsibilities and duties:
- Reliably performs laboratory testing
- Performs and evaluates QC results in hematology, transfusion service/serology, chemistry , microbiology and urinalysis
- Performs trouble PM’s/trouble shooting on hematology, transfusion, urinalysis, and chemistry instruments
- Documents instrument problems/resolution and informs Director of Laboratory
- Communicates STAT, urgent, panic values effectively to care provider
- Ensures test ordering, charging, billing are in compliance with HCFA regulations
- Performs to completion special projects as assigned
- Performs testing on proficiency samples in a timely manner
- Accurately transcribes proficiency test results on answer sheet
- Records date and initials upon opening or preparing reagents, controls or solutions
- Records reagent and control logs as appropriate
- Understands calibration of equipment/lots and when it is necessary
- Verifies tests are accurate prior to approval in Laboratory Information System and manually enters results accurately when indicated.
- Prioritizes work appropriately
- Preserves patient confidentiality at all times
- Uses correct reference lab when sending out laboratory work
- Performs gram stains, rapid strep test, anaerobic/routine culture set-up, processes positive blood culture
- Perform bench microbiology work including plate reading, sub-culturing, organism identification, susceptibility testing
- Understands and perform microbiology QC program
- Performs maintenance on Microscan Autoscan
- Uses sound judgment when handling difficult situations
- Assists with phlebotomy as needed
- Assists with calling in relief staff as needed
- Demonstrates responsibility, accountability and flexibility
- Attends and contributes to department meetings
- Uses down time effectively, catching up on unfinished work
- Is a resource to clinicians, inspectors, or other staff concerning testing methodologies, test interpretation and clinical significance of tests
- Prepares detailed summary of project and progress made when requested
- Other duties as assigned
Meet Your Recruiter
Client Relationship Manager, Senior Healthcare Recruiter