Crofton, MD 21114
Full-time Histotech needed at a top hospital in Maryland!
(Reference Code: KAM)
5:00am – 1:30pm M-F; weekend coverage once per month
Job Summary: Performs the various tasks required for receiving, processing, and preparing patient tissue samples for microscopic examination and analysis by the Pathologist.
Essential Job Duties:
- Espouses the principals of Lean Thinking and creates a work environment that positively promotes process improvement. Explores opportunities to add value to job (innovative ideas) to benefit the organization and taking ownership of the outcome. Proactively finds other work-related tasks during low census.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation (hand offs).
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies. Conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Provides histology information by answering questions and requests.
- Performs embedding, sectioning, special stains, immunohistochemistry, frozen sections, with appropriate supervision if required. Performs functions to established productivity guidelines with minimal errors.
- Operates and maintains laboratory instrumentation. Performs preventative maintenance and troubleshoots problems to the full extent of ability.
- Actively participates in the laboratory quality plan/program (ex. investigative reports, notification of delays, etc.).Performs quality controls and documents QC for each lab procedure on a daily basis and follows up on issues (troubleshoots).
- Participates in external proficiency testing and in continuing education classes to maintain licensure and remain updated on changes in the histology field.
- Participates in the training of new staff and students by serving as a mentor and technical resource.
* Clinical education in a Histotechnician (HT) program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or an Associate’s Degree in a related field from a accredited college or university and training at a hospital.
* Preferred Qualifications: Experience: one year of experience working in an acute care facility as a HT or HTL.
* HT (ASCP) or HTL (ASCP) or eligible. Certification must be attained within one year of hire.
For more information, please submit your resume for review!!
Please click APPLY ONLINE or email us a copy of your resume directly (my email is next to my profile). Be sure to check out all of our jobs at http://jobs.ka-recruiting.com. We look forward to working with you!