Chicago, IL 60661
Our organization is focused on improving and saving lives. Our culture is comprised of ordinary individuals who have the innate desire to do extraordinary things. As an organization that embraces and celebrates diversity and impartiality, we also have the common bond of humanity that unites us together, not just in the face of emergencies and disasters, but in helping our neighbors every day.
Performs clinical laboratory testing under routine and emergency protocols in Immunohematology Reference Laboratory.
• Perform daily workups of complex antibody problems and other red cell reference testing. Fill orders for blood in a
• Perform antibody ID using tube, gel and solid phase methods.
• Perform warm autoantibody evaluations using matched cells, adsorption and elution techniques.
• Use enhancing reagents and enzymes in evaluation of complex antibody problems.
• Perform extended transfusion reaction evaluations.
• Perform neonatal evaluations and antibody titers.
• Foster good customer service by acting as technical resource and consultant to internal and external laboratory
professionals and physicians. This may include the clinical significance of results, billing and logistical issues, etc.
• Maintain and track inventory levels of antigen typed units and supplies for testing.
• Maintain proficiency in thawing of rare units(ARDP).
• Type, pack, and send rare units provided to the national exchange of rare units.
• Participate in initiatives to meet requirements for the American Rare Donor Program in order for the laboratory to
maintain AABB IRL accreditation.
• Prepare and QC reagents and serum for use during daily operations.
• Review workup documentation, final reports, and coordinate billing for testing performed.
• Encourage cooperation between all staff and maintain a professional and productive working environment.
• Troubleshoot equipment and transportation problems.
• Maintain complete and accurate documentation of all testing, research, validation. Perform and document equipment
Quality Control (QC) and maintenance.
• Work with laboratory staff to develop clear, concise, up to date Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Understand and participate in Quality Assurance (QA) functions of the laboratory. Report incidents involving unusual
circumstances or failure to follow written standard operating procedure.
• Complete CAP/AABB Survey Assignments within allotted timeframe.
• Keep current with emerging technologies and trends within the field of red cell reference.
• Participate in continuing education activities with a minimum of 6 contact hours per year.
• Comply with all applicable SOPs as written.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Must qualify as Testing Personnel, High Complexity Testing, under CLIA personnel requirements
• Bachelor of Science degree in clinical laboratory science or other biological science or equivalent.
• Certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS), Blood Bank Technologist (BB), or Medical Laboratory
Technician (MLT) or equivalent required. Certification as Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB) preferred.
• Minimum of 2-3 years reference laboratory experience.
Please click APPLY ONLINE or email us a copy of your resume directly (my email is next to my profile). Be sure to check out all of our jobs at http://jobs.ka-recruiting.com. We look forward to working with you!