POSITION: Technologist III
DEPARTMENT: Immunohematology Reference Laboratory
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Immunohematology Reference Laboratory
POSITION PURPOSE: Performs clinical laboratory testing under routine and emergency protocols in Immunohematology Reference Laboratory.
In training for Senior Technologist position.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES- As a Technologist III:
• Perform daily workups of complex antibody problems and other red cell reference testing. Fill orders for blood in a
• Perform antibody ID using tube, gel and solid phase methods.
• Perform warm autoantibody evaluations using matched cells, adsorption and elution techniques.
• Use enhancing reagents and enzymes in evaluation of complex antibody problems.
• Perform extended transfusion reaction evaluations.
• Perform neonatal evaluations and antibody titers.
• Foster good customer service by acting as technical resource and consultant to internal and external laboratory
professionals and physicians. This may include the clinical significance of results, billing and logistical issues, etc.
• Maintain and track inventory levels of antigen typed units and supplies for testing.
• Maintain proficiency in thawing of rare units(ARDP).
• Type, pack, and send rare units provided to the national exchange of rare units.
• Participate in initiatives to meet requirements for the American Rare Donor Program in order for the laboratory to
maintain AABB IRL accreditation.
• Prepare and QC reagents and serum for use during daily operations.
• Review workup documentation, final reports, and coordinate billing for testing performed.
• Encourage cooperation between all staff and maintain a professional and productive working environment.
• Troubleshoot equipment and transportation problems.
• Maintain complete and accurate documentation of all testing, research, validation. Perform and document equipment
Quality Control (QC) and maintenance.
• Work with laboratory staff to develop clear, concise, up to date Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Understand and participate in Quality Assurance (QA) functions of the laboratory. Report incidents involving unusual
circumstances or failure to follow written standard operating procedure.
• Complete CAP/AABB Survey Assignments within allotted timeframe.
• Keep current with emerging technologies and trends within the field of red cell reference.
• Participate in continuing education activities with a minimum of 6 contact hours per year.
• Comply with all applicable SOPs as written.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Must qualify as Testing Personnel, High Complexity Testing, under CLIA personnel requirements found in Subpart M
of the Code of Federal Regulations.
• Bachelor of Science degree in clinical laboratory science or other biological science or equivalent.
• Certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS), Blood Bank Technologist (BB), or Medical Laboratory
Technician (MLT) or equivalent required. Certification as Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB) preferred.
• Minimum of 2-3 years reference laboratory experience.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS:
• Required mental activities include continuous use of interpersonal skills, teamwork, customer service, and the ability
to read, write speak and comprehend English. Required mental activities used less frequently include decision-
making, creativity, problem analysis, independent judgment and/or independent action, and the performance of basic
math (all used frequently); mentoring, presentations/teaching, use of discretion, and training/supervising (all used
occasionally); and negotiation (used rarely).
• Must be able to effectively prioritize activities, and to continuously re-prioritize to accommodate tight deadlines and a
varying workload; must be able to work effectively under stress.
• Required physical activities include continuous hearing, talking, and handling. Required physical activities used less
frequently include standing, walking, reaching, and repetitive motions of hands/wrists (all used frequently); stooping,
sitting, bending, and repetitive motions of feet (all used occasionally); kneeling and climbing (used rarely).
• The ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds is required, as is the ability to push up to 40 pounds.
• Significant manual dexterity is required to operate various instruments and to perform required data entry.
• Must be capable of performing independent work with a high degree of accuracy.
• Functional proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
• This is a highly regulated position and is subject to meeting various regulatory agency and accrediting body rules and
regulations (FDA, AABB, CLIA, CAP, etc.).
• Position requires extensive computer and close work; occasional heavy lifting, constant standing, substantial
overtime, and on-call status; as well as infrequent off shift work.
• Position requires intermittent work (up to 30 minutes each occasion) in cold rooms (1 – 6 o C) and walk-in freezers (-35 o C).
• Ability to work weekends and holidays as assigned.
• Ability to take on call responsibility as assigned.
• This position has direct exposure to blood borne pathogens.
• As this is an essential position with direct responsibility to donors and/or patients, incumbent should be prepared to
work extended and/or consecutive shifts and/or possibly at a different location during periods of inclement weather or
Please click apply or email us a copy of your resume directly. Be sure to check out all of our jobs at jobs.ka-recruiting.com. We look forward to working with you!
Thank you for taking the time to look at my current job openings. Natalie has specialized in working with allied healthcare professionals for over 7 years. As the Healthcare Recruiting Manager at K.A. Recruiting, she takes pride in building long-term relationships with both clients and candidates in order to address hiring needs as well as individual career goals for her candidates. She has worked with Physicians, Advanced Level Practitioners, Therapists, Nurses, Nurse Leaders, Laboratory, and other Allied Health candidates to assist them in securing permanent positions nationwide. Natalie has had a successful track record that is founded on the highest standard of quality combined with taking the time to personalize each candidate's job search to help them secure a long-term position. If you are looking for a full-time permanent position anywhere in the country I would love to hear from you! Please connect with me on LinkedIn Here: