Boston, MA 02109
Full-time Patient Safety and Risk Specialist needed at a top facility in Boston!
(Reference Code: KAM)
The Patient Safety Risk Specialist is responsible for participating in the development, implementation, and coordination of a highly visible, proactive institution-wide program to maximize the safety of services delivered to patients. The Specialist proactively identifies and reduces risk of patient harm, learns from individual cases, identifies risk trends, and actively educates leaders, administration, clinicians and staff regarding methods to maximize patient safety and simultaneously reduce professional liability claims.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Proactively seeks to identify circumstances that present a threat to patient safety
- Performs risk surveys and assessments of various departments, services and systems
- Investigates and analyzes actual and potential patient/visitor safety events (near-misses) for improvement opportunities and for the potential for legal action
- Participates in the “on call” system to provide immediate consultation, recommendations and mitigation to hospital staff in responding to adverse events.
- Utilizes an electronic database for tracking patient safety events. Participates in activities to use this database to identify trends and opportunities to improve patient safety.
- Participates in follow-up action plans required to minimize patient safety risks
- Actively collaborates with quality improvement to implement safer systems of care
- Actively collaborates with Claims Department to minimize legal/financial liability
- Interacts with wide variety of personnel including administration, clinicians, staff, senior management and Department Chairpersons
- Actively participates in Patient Safety Steering Committee
- Help to ensures compliance with various codes, laws, rules and regulations concerning patient care, including those mandated by state, federal agencies and compliance with the Joint Commission risk management standards.
- Develops and maintains understanding of relevant patient safety sciences including but not limited to culture of safety, accident causation, and human factors engineering
- Maintain awareness of legislative and regulatory activities related to patient safety and health care risk management.
- Assists in the development, maintenance and revision of policies and procedures to improve patient safety and minimize loss exposure.
- Develops and presents educational sessions on patient safety and professional liability risk reduction to physicians and employee. Assists with process of obtaining credits so that physicians can meet state-
mandated requirements for risk management continuing medical education.
- Helps ensure that risk management policies and procedures are communicated to employees.
- Assists clinical chairs and department chiefs to design patient safety and risk management programs specific to their individual areas.
- Periodically reports on risk management matters and prepare reports for various committees and boards.
- Responsible for ensuring that all information necessary to prepare for the defense of claims is collected and properly maintained in a timely manner, including the preparation of reports of investigation. Helps to meet the needs of the Director of Claims in his/her efforts to manage claims and potential claims.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Patient Safety, Risk Management and Regulatory Compliance.
* Bachelor’s Degree required. Graduate degree (Masters or Doctorate) preferred.
* Clinical degree required (e.g., RN, PharmD, RPh, RRT)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
* CPHRM preferred.
* Requires at least 5 years of direct clinical care. Relevant risk management experience preferred.
Offering competitive compensation and complete benefits!
For more information, please submit your resume for review.
Please click APPLY ONLINE or email us a copy of your resume directly (my email is next to my profile). Be sure to check out all of our jobs at http://jobs.ka-recruiting.com. We look forward to working with you!