36 Hours per Pay
- CPR Required
- 1-2 yrs experience preferred
- Position Summary
- The Respiratory Care Practitioner is a professional who is able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide respiratory care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the departmental policies and procedures.
- Graduate from an approved/accredited Program of Respiratory Care.
- Current New Hampshire License/Registration.
- Participation in continuing education program.
- Knowledge of new trends and techniques for respiratory care.
- Maintains BLS certification.
- Certified or eligible for certification by National Board of Respiratory Care.
- ACLS certified required.
- Essential Functions of the Job
- Required skills and competencies. Has competency checklist been completed with all competencies met (i.e. job skills / knowledge, equipment knowledge, annual certifications)?
- Explains purpose and procedure of treatments, tests and equipment to the patient. Performs patient assessment and monitoring:
- Conducts physician prescribed treatments of a routine nature operating IPPB equipment, various oxygen devices, ultrasonic nebulizer, aerosol and humidity therapy, incentive spirometry, etc.
- Performs chest physical therapy.
- Performs arterial puncture; draws from a-lines, operates blood gas analyzer.
- Sets up, operates, and monitors ventilators.
- Responsible for airway management during cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Performs pulmonary function testing.
- Records all pertinent information of treatments, and patient response to treatments, on respiratory care records and patient chart.
- Reports therapy to be conducted and condition of patients to relief personnel.
- Processes respiratory therapy equipment - cleaning, disinfecting, bringing to central sterile as required.
- Cardiac and Hemodynamic Monitoring: twelve lead EKG testing.
- Makes regular rounds, checking patients oxygen equipment, and supply areas on a timely basis.
- Maintains department in a clean, neat and orderly fashion; maintains a safe, clean environment for patients and staff.
- Adhere to Medication Safety policies in regards to appropriately bar-coding medications and patient ID bands. Obtaining a witness whenever abarcode override for a medication to be administered is necessary. Meeting this standard would be usingbarcode override 3% (or less) of the time.
- Exceeds = 1.9% or less
- Meet = 2.0% - 3.9% of barcode administration override
- Needs Improvement = 4% or more
- Manages time effectively to ensure that deadlines are met and that personal priorities support organizational objectives.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.